Early History of Holy Trinity Church
In 1888 the population of Formby and Ainsdale was approximately 5000. The church was to be built by public subscription on land promised by the Revd Lonsdale Formby, who at that time was the Vicar of St Peter’s, Formby. In 1889, when the sum of £1,153 had been raised, it was decided to erect the nave of the new church using blue-grey granite stone from Penmaenmawr (on the north Wales coast) and white Stourton (or Storeton) stone from the Wirral.
The project was the responsibility of the architect Mr C.A. Atkinson of Long Yort, Freshfield, and the builders were Messrs Brown and Backhouse, Liverpool.
The church interior would have red Ruabon (Wales) brick walls, heavy timber beams and rafters, pitch pine floor and pews. A coke boiler heated the church with water pipes secured around the lower walls. (This system was replaced in 1959 by electric pendant fittings, providing both heating and lighting, and more recently the heating system was replaced with infra-red heaters.)
On 3 July the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Annie Lucy Formby, wife of Col. John Formby JP, in the presence of the Lord Bishop of Liverpool, Dr J.C. Ryle.
The first service was held on Trinity Sunday, 1 June at 8.00am, a service of Holy Communion led by Revd F.F. Grensted, assisted by the new Curate, Revd John Brook Richardson. It was followed by Matins at 11.00am (Revd Canon Herbert Jones), a children’s service at 3.00pm (Mr Richardson) and Evensong at 7.00pm (Ven. Archdeacon Clark).
The church was consecrated on 8 July by the Bishop of Liverpool.
The building work was completed with a seating capacity of 524. The nave, chancel, transepts and belfry were consecrated by the Bishop of Liverpool on 12 May.
If you would like to find out more about the History of Holy Trinity Church Formby there is a very interesting document called Holy Trinity Church, Formby – In Reminiscent Mood by William Marshallsay,available on the web. Acrobat Reader is required to read this .pdf document.The church also has available copies of the book Sure Foundations, written by Win Greenwood to commemorate the church’s centenary in 1990. Please enquire at the church office.